Re: rotation and mileage details

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.42.105) on 07:31:37 10/12/07

In Reply to: rotation and mileage details posted by Peter

: The tires are usually rotated in a 4 tire rotation as my spare is on a steel wheel while the main 4 are alloy. Also, the spare is still the original Wilderness LE.
:
: The rotation schedule is probably where the early wear came from. My mechanic services the car about every 4000 miles but only rotates as he sees uneven wear. I probably have had them rotated somewhere between 3-5 times in the last 30,000 miles but not on a schedule.
:
: My dilema is that I could have had them rotated where I bought them whenever I wanted/needed. I am concerned that if I do, my mechanic won't be able to identify alignment or other issues that he could if I left the tires in the same position he last saw them. Example, if they show wear on an outside edge but I had them rotated, it would be difficult to pinpoint the location of the problem.

I'm not enough of an tire engineer to know anything, but my farm boy knowledge tells me that when the signs are showing up with those kind of intervals, it's already too late because the wear is "set" into the tire by then.

Inflation and alignment are the biggest killers, so by regularly checking inflation (keeping all tires even to +/- 1 lb, no more) and getting an alignment done regularly may have a lot to do with the longer wear I get.

Alignments are done every April (after our weather-caused potholes have been filled in) and late every fall, after deer and prairie dog seasons, since the truck gets some pretty vigorous 4WD workouts on some pretty rugged terrain (below is the "road" in to my favorite deer place)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page