Re: 16mm & 20mm flare nut wrench for fuel filter

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.42.105) on 22:43:59 10/15/07

In Reply to: 16mm & 20mm flare nut wrench for fuel filter posted by Ben

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Ben.

Nothing like a proper tool for the job. At $12-14 each for a Craftsman wrench, just to say I can make a tool, is no excuse for using a tool designed for the job. Have seen plenty of the soft flare nuts goobered up by wrenches that spread and slipped, and most box end wrenches get their strength from the "whole circle" as opposed to the strength of the forged steel, the way a Flare nut wrench does.

I picked up a set of SK brand flared crow feet wrenches similar to picture. I got a total of 23 pieces, standard and metric, on a closeout deal for $65. I've yet to use more than 3 or 4 of them, but as a tool junkie I have imagined all sorts of places where I can throw one of these on a ratchet & extension and reach down into a hole without having it slip off-odd distributor hold downs, power steering hoses on the back of a pump that's still on the car, etc.

Even without this set, a decent flare nut wrench is worth the dedicated slot in the toolbox drawer, especially if you consider the cost and aggravation of replacing flare nuts (of course, I do have standard and metric flaring tools...)

Proper tool for the job is the rule. Don't do the job if you aren't gonna do it right!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page