Re: SEMA 2007: Chevy Suburban HD Z71 Diesel

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Steve G (67.97.247.170) on 07:53:47 10/31/07

In Reply to: Re: SEMA 2007: Chevy Suburban HD Z71 Diesel posted by Ben

The new 4.5L diesel is a V8 and will be built here at the Tonawanda, NY engine plant(that builds the 8.1L Vortec V8s). As I understand it, the 4.5L is not a smaller version of the current 6.6L D-max, but an all-new design from GM. It will still be called a D-max, but I don't think Isuzu had a hand in the development of this one. There are many new features that reduce the cost of manufacturing the engine so it won't cost as much as the current 6.6L (which I believe is around $8K extra).

I have a 2002 Sub with the 8.1L and the 6.0L definitely is NOT a replacement for the big-block 8.1L for towing.

: A baby V6 D-max would/should have approx 400-500 ft/lbs torque, so about where my 7.4L big block would be.
:
: BUT, think/guess a a bit lower on the RPM curve. It would develop that at, say 1,600 RPMs.
:
: Good enough and there is always propane... :)
:
: Don't know much about the new 6 speed, but from early reports, sounds like it's going to be a great tranny. I'd still prefer a manual tranny, but they won't offer that in a Suburban ever again (not enough will order or buy a manual Sub these days).
:
: Also think a big over the top on cladding and too much 'car' like.
:
: My main excitement is that GM is finally addressing towing heavy for the Suburban. The current 6.0L gasser as the ONLY engine choice is lame and says they don't get it and/or care to address that segment of their customer base.
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]