Brake pads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Ben (64.121.48.151) on 17:22:00 07/27/07

Just in helping a buddy install a set of brake pads and shoes on his 98 Suburban K1500.

Didn't take pictures, as too dirty and didn't want to mess up my camera.

He also just got laid off from Sun Micro, so no budget for Praise, so he got Wagner Severe Duty carbon metallics.

What I wanted to point out is that they didn't have the anti-squeal shims, but molded in whatever compliant material they used on the back side.

One side went in just ducky, but the other side didn't. Hammered it with a rubber mallet (missed and smacked my shin too). No go.

Took the other side apart and it went in just fine but the offending set didn't on the other side.

Took them both off again and measured all the pads. The offending set (piston side) was about 0.30" thicker !!!!

Noodled grinding, but not knowing what that material was, didn't want to inhale any.

Ended up using a cold chisel to chip away a grove to match the piston contact ring.

Finally went in and just back from bedding them in.

What a pain, as ended up doing about 6 sets worth of pads. What should have taken about 20 minutes ended up taking about 5 hours.

Shoes were uneventful, as they were almost new. So just adjusted them tight and returned the new shoes. Did super tune the whole rear brake system, so it will self adjust and hoping won't need manual adjustment.

He now stops good and says they never worked this well, even when new!!

So, check the back side of pads that have molded in anti-squeal material. Use a cold chisel if it's too thick. Have to go down to metal, as can't control the thickness chipping away like that. A dremel would have been much better, but again, the material is unknown and didn't want to inhale any.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page