Re: OT: Travel Advice-Sacramento to Portland

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by wws (68.126.198.147) on 09:20:58 08/29/07

In Reply to: OT: Travel Advice-Sacramento to Portland posted by OnBelay

: Instead of changing plane ticket, was noodling quick trip to Portland to see family from Monday thru Wednesday eve.

It is well worth the drive, but you will quickly find that you will want to come back and spend more time!

The trip up 101 is very nice. Napa/Sonoma Valleys. More farmland. Then winding through the redwood forests. Once you get to Eureka, you more or less drive up the coast. Some stunning seascapes, more redwood forests (including Redwood National Park), etc. I've not driven north of Crescent City, but I've heard that when you get into Oregon, the seascapes are even more amazing.

I-5 is less interesting but more direct. Mt Shasta is very beautiful though. There are a lot nice of places to hike and camp around there. (One of my favorites is Burney Falls - but that will be too far out of your way to consider on such a short trip.) You'll go over some nice mountain passes going into Oregon. I've not driven much north of Ashland, but expect a lot of hills and farms.

Don't try 'cutting' across the Trinity Alps to go from 101 to I-5 or vice versa. On some of those roads you'll go 20 mph for hours on end. And as Ben says, that is where that guy got stranded with his family last year.

: ... the family I will be going to see puts the "fun" in "dysfunctional"... the 8 hour drive time might be good for preparing for them on the way in, then blowing off steam on the way out...

So the decision is Napa Valley on the way there, back, or both...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page