Conclusion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Peter (170.218.219.21) on 10:26:08 01/20/11

In Reply to: 2000 K1500 Sub - hood release posted by Peter

Even with the great step by step instructions from OnBelay, I couldn't get it done right. I had the cable loose under the hood and the old handle free inside the truck. I just could not figure out how to get the cable routed behind the parking brake mechanism and then to reach back to the firewall to release grab the cable attachement there. I was also afraid to rip the boot on the engine side of the firewall.

What I did do was leave the existing cable in place since only the handle was cracked. I removed the handle bracket from the new assembly (it comes as a cable and handle bracket already connected) and just re-attached it to the old cable. Unfortunately, I broke a clip on the new replacement cable that holds it to the handle bracket so that if the old cable breaks, I will likely not be able to use the same new one.

Also, I had to drill out the mounting hole on the new handle bracket to fit the stud.

I guess I am conceeding that when the cable breaks, I give it to my tech to complete the repair.

- Peter

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com