Re: Intake Manifold Gasket: 8.1 ltr

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Igore (67.132.175.130) on 19:07:54 06/08/11

In Reply to: Re: Intake Manifold Gasket: 8.1 ltr posted by OnBelay

10 years ago when the 8.1 was a new engine IMG leaks were a common problem thought at the time to be from a combination of Deathcool coolant etching the metal surface of the head and inlet manifold and vertical bolts holding the inlet manifold in place that shifted the gasket when tightened down.

If the coolant isn't showing up anywhere else, it is probably leaking into the combustion chamber.

If it were mine, I would get the IMG replaced befoe it starts leaking into the oil.

: : I have a 2002 K2500 with the 8.1. It also uses too much coolant. It has 160K miles. In the last 3-4 months I have begun to be able to smell coolant, and in the last two months I can detect some dripping on the the ground. It appears to be coming from the rear of the engine on the passenger side.
: :
: : So in my case, I'm pretty sure it is an external leak, and it didn't drip or leave puddles for a *long* time. You might check around the engine area. I'll report back when I dig in further on the source of my leak. But it won't be this weekend.
: : BurbGuy
: : : Book time is around 2.7 hours, IIRC.
: : :
: : : While in there, it's only another 1/2 hr. or so to do the center valley and another 1/2 if you have a multi piece intake manifold; so 3.7 would be worst case scenario.
: : :
: : : 8.1 intake gaskets are not nearly as common as the 5.3; have you checked radiator cap pressure? Not saying it's not the gasket, but a new cap is inexpensive...
:
: Smelling the coolant, especially while driving, is usually more an issue of a heater core. The heater core can also be found as an external leak...
:
: While 8.1s are not immune to IMG leaks, again, they aren't near as common as the 5.3

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page