Re: 2001 Suburban 1500 Gas Mileage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by #1 Son (70.240.192.17) on 16:20:27 06/27/11

In Reply to: Re: 2001 Suburban 1500 Gas Mileage posted by 92sub

My last Sub was a 1999 with a 5.7 engine and a high rear ratio of like a 3.42 point-someting - the highest at that time. That thing gave me over 18.2 MPG on a trip to Canada via the East Coast.

I wonder if the terrain has anything to do with it.

Oh, yes, has any of you been to White Sands, NM to see the sand dunes there? They don't call it "White Sands" for no reason! It is so white that some TV commercials used the site to film Snow Skiing Scenes. In fact the picture below shows a father and son "trying" to snow boarding there!

Also, the Sun plus the relections make the surrounding so BRIGHT that we were warned to wear Sun Glasses. It turned out it was a good advice. In addition, you NEED a good supply of water. It was the first time I experienced what real dehydration feels like, and we were prepared!

#1 Son

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: I've had 3 Suburbans (all of different vintage) and the best MPG was my 1992 5.7TBI. 4WD and I was able to squeeze about 19.5 if I drove it right. Combined with it's 42 gallon tank I could go really far without stopping! My current ride (2001 Denali XL AWD) can only muster 14-15 highway. The AWD hurts and the 320HP 6.0, while it moves this beast along with great gusto, it needs alot of gas to do it. I understand the latest version truck (GMT900) will get 20 MPG with the 320HP 5.3L. I may have to prove that out within the next year!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page