beware Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by gblotter (68.183.199.31) on 13:40:33 07/30/11

I took my Burb into America's Tire for a rotation of my Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires. The tires had about 40K miles on them but still lots of tread left.

To my horror, the tire shop informed me that three of the tires had big blown-out gashes in the rubber of the interior sidewalls. An obvious manufacturing defect as no coincidence could ever account for three tires all failing at the same time. What's more, because this happened on the interior sidewall of the tires, it is very unlikely to be the result of vandalism or a road hazard.

Having just returned from a 2000 mile summer roadtrip with my wife and four children, it is a miracle that we didn't have a catastrophe with a fatal blowout, rollover, etc.

I was disgusted with the response from Goodyear who would only agree to a very stingy pro-rated credit for three of the tires. Really?!? Do they actually think I would continue driving on the two remaining Wrangler tires after this experience? Really?!? Fortunately, America's Tire made it right and I got three new tires for free from them (to replace the defective ones) and I purchased two new tires at a heavy discount out of my own pocket (including a new spare tire).

My new tires are very nice Michelin LTX A/T2 tires. I love them so far. I think I just became a Michelin man for all my vehicles. After this experience, I will never go back to a Goodyear/Dunlop/Kelly tire product (all manufactured by the same company).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page