Re: beware Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.110.82) on 21:35:26 07/30/11

In Reply to: beware Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires posted by gblotter

I am no longer a fan of Michelin, but that's not really relevant to your case. I am absolutely positive you will get better service out of the Michelin than that particular Goodyear, for one simple reason: when you purchased the Goodyear, you bought an oversize car tire, and when you purchased the Michelin, you bought a truck tire.

Go out on your driveway and look at the side of the tire. The "LT" size marking on the Michelin (LT265/70/16) designates "Light Truck". "P" size tires (P265/70/16) like the Goodyears come in are "Passenger" tires.

Of course, having purchased a "60,000 mile" Michelin will also designate a longer lasting tire, albeit one with a slightly firmer ride. The Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor is a "40,000 mile" rated tire, and all the mileage rating means on tires is how long the manufacturer will offer a pro rate warranty. The Goodyear has a lower mileage rating due to a softer compound and less tread wear, but will also give a smoother ride.

In your case, I'm thinking that having a weak tire get 80% of it's warranty life was a pretty good outcome.

If you got a retailer to give you a better warranty than the manufacturer, all you've really done is increased the price of the next set of tires someone else is going to buy. That "stingy" warranty you mentioned was probably right within the range of giving you the 20% of the original purchase price, based on the 20% of the tire's mileage you hadn't used. Eventually, someone will have to pay for the three "free" tires you got.

Now I'm curious as to what your out the door price was for the tires you left with. That tire valve cost them about $0.32, and the labor to mount/balance 5 tires is a total of about $6.00. Did you pay for Road Hazard, Lifetime Rotate, Lifetime Balance?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page