Re: Future son-in-law bought Chevy truck

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.35.30) on 21:54:51 09/20/11

In Reply to: Future son-in-law bought Chevy truck posted by kcburb

While doing the diffs, I would check the drain tubes and make sure they are in place, complete, and clear. Seems like a lot of the trucks around here are used to pull boat trailers, and end up not draining off lake water from the boat ramp.

Yes, check the Intake Manifold Gasket. I would also leak sniff the AC system.

Yes, it has been proven that I am too picky, but I would plan on aligning the headlamps to where I want them.

I would also check for trailer light wiring. Lots of truck this age have had Backyard Bob hooking up trailer light wires, and there is lots of corrosion that can wick it's way into the tail light system.

Batteries and wiper blades are cheap enough, I would just get them.

My favorite thing to do when buying a new-to-me vehicle is to plan on going through a half gallon of Simple Green on the interior. Scrub down the carpet, seats, door panels, etc. Not only will get everything clean, but gets rid of any odors left behind by the previous owner.

: Hey all!!!
:
: Thought this was the best place to get information for him. He bought a 1998 Chevy with 164K miles. Don't know all the specifics yet - but are there any watch it's with this year?
:
: Here's the list we are planning this week-end:
: Oil
: Trans service
: front and rear diffs
: transfer case
: coolant
: brakes (check at least)
: fuel filter
: air filter
: pcv
: