Re: How to adjust steering box?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Tom (216.26.158.231) on 14:16:14 10/12/11

In Reply to: Re: How to adjust steering box? posted by 92sub

They seem tight enough, I don't have the service records in front of me, but most of the usual front end parts have been replaced since 90K or so. I went clockwise on the adjusting screw about 45 degrees (1/8 turn) last night and it made a BIG difference this morning. The vague on-center feel is almost gone. I suspected the box because of the amount of play in the wheel before any tire movement was observed. In subtle direction changes you were always steering back through the deadspot before you could get the truck to go the other direction, like on a curvy road, so it felt you like you really sawing the wheel. Much better now, I may take another 1/16 turn and see where that leaves me.

As tempting as it is to use a socket on the locknut, it's the worst thing because you lose your reference point for the adjusting screw. After 10 tears of grease it's hard to scribe a reliable reference point. I inserted the allen wrench in the adjusting nut and noted its exact position, then left it in there while I used a crow's foot to loosen the locknut. This made a very accurate reference, and leaving the allen wrench in the adjusting screw makes it easy to see if the adjuster moves when you tighten the locknut.

: sure your front end parts are tight? Especially the pitman and idler arms? They are notorious for wear as they are tough to grease. You run a good chance of ruining the gearbox so I'd make sure everything else is 100% before messing with the box.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page