Re: Chevrolet's 100 Years of Trucks video

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.35.30) on 17:47:11 11/29/11

In Reply to: Re: Chevrolet's 100 Years of Trucks video posted by #1 Son

1973 was the first 4 door; they were three door prior to that. 454 was in both Chevrolet and GMC; 455 was actually an Oldsmobile and Buick moniker for the same engine, when coupled to a front wheel drive setup such as the Toronado or Riviera. GMC also used the 455/FWD in their motorhome/mid duty truck chassis.

The Travel All was an International Harvester label; Carryall was the name used for the front only or front and one row seating truck with the same body as a Suburban, but set up for use as a work truck (favored by plumbers, carpenters, etc.)

I owned a 1959 Carry All at one time; it had two bucket seats in front. 2WD, big V6 with a 4 speed, and two speed rear axle. Took a bunch of very cold ski trips to Colorado, hauling everybody else's stuff in that truck. If it would have had any more than the 14 square inches of solid sheet metal I could find, I intended to do something with it. The frame and body were just too rusty, however. I sold it in 1982 or 1983 for $150 (!)

If I were to compare the big block (454) 4WD 3/4 ton Sub I once owned to yours, I'd say you got great mileage. IIRC, mine was good for about 6 mpg around town, and maybe 10 on the highway if it wasn't loaded and the wind was right.

: Didn't know that the 1993 model was the first 4-door Suburban made. I did know, though, before that, it was called a either Carry All or Travel All.
:
: I owned a 1993 GMC Suburban with a 454 cubic inch engine. I think Chevy's equivalent was a 455 or vice versa. It had some kind power. But I got only about 10MPG in town and about 13.5 on trips! But, then, Gas was only about 25 cent a gallon then!
:
: #1 Son
:
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : About as exciting as a geography filmstrip from fourth grade, but some pretty neat scenes of vintage Blazers off road, and the 1957 Suburban:
: :
: : http://youtu.be/GKS07MJ2kgc
:
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL: