Re: Chevrolet's 100 Years of Trucks video

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Igore (67.132.175.130) on 14:07:57 12/01/11

In Reply to: Re: Chevrolet's 100 Years of Trucks video posted by #1 Son

In the mid 50's. the Suburban model applied to GMC's equivalent of the Chevy Cameo pickup, with flare side fiberglass fenders over a standard short box. Back then, I believe the model for our trucks at least for Chevy, was called the Carry All.

Until 1967 they were about the size of today's Tahoe or a short box pickup, but with only two doors. The middle and rear seats were optional and were accessed through the passenger side front via a folding passsenger seat.

There were two versions, the panel truck that didn't have rear side windows, and the passenger version that did have side windows. There were also two options for tail gates, the clamshell gate and barn doors. The number of seats was also optional.

There was also a third version, the one ton that came as a panel truck only. This was much longer, about the size of today's Suburban.

In '67 the Suburban name was applied and the truck became longer. The panel continued to be offered for a short time but by then regular vans were taking over much of that business. In 1967 there also came the first 3/4 ton Suburban. The 1 ton version was dropped. This era of Subs had three front doors, two on the passenger side and one driver's side. The clamshell and barn door rear option continued.

Suburbans in the 1950's were finished in the rear with sheet metal. Starting in '67. this only happened with upscale models, the base model was bare sheet metal and ribs. I don't remember what was done in the 60's.

In the late 50's in the USA, Chevies used chevy engines, usually the 235 six with an optional small block V8, and could be had with a 3 speed, 4 speed, or HydraMatic transmission. GMC used the 270 Pontiac six and a Pontiac optional V8.

GMC's V6 wasn't available until 1960, to the best of my knowledge.

My dad had a 58 Carryall and a 67 3/4 ton Suburban. I learned to drive in the Carryall. Wish I still had it.

: This shows what AGING has done to me! It got mixed up! I was my mother's 1970 Old 88 that had the 455 engine!
:
: That Carry All you mentioned actually dates back to the early 50's. When I first came to the US, our grocery store had one of them, a dark blue one! I used to drive it every day to get milk and buy veggies from the Farmers Market.
:
: But, being someone who was "fresh off the boat", I really did not know what it was called. My father only called it "The Panel Truck".
:
: As you said, the truck had only to front buckets The passenger side one could be folded and tumble forward to make more room. The rear interior was not finished. All the raw rib-cages were showing. The rear floor was metal with wood inlays!
:
: Around that same period, Chevy also made a "Sedan Delivery" for the same untility purpose, built much like a windowless Station Wagon based on a regular sedan! It had only the front bucket seats. The rear is empty ala a mini Panel Truck! We had two of them from 1953 through 1957.
:
: OH! I almost forgot! Here is a Carzy Story of what I DID with one of the Carry All one time:
:
: As I said above, I did not know anyting about cars in those days. All I knew was that my dad called it 1/2 ton truck.
:
: One day, I made a deal with one the farmers in the market to have his Hempstead Water Melons on sale in the following weekend. The order was for Fifty(50).
:
: On the Wednesday, we loaded up the truck with the melons. On the way back to the store, I heard a scraping sound from the rear while go over a hump on the road. Stoped and looked.
:
: I saw that the rear bumper was only about 10 inches from the ground. Suddenly, I realized that those "Black Diamonsd" water melons weighed over 40 pound EACH! Click. click, click!
:
: That was OVER 2000# I was carrying! Half Ton Truck?!!!
:
: Got back to the store okay, though!
:
: I wonder if I can do it with a present day Chevy Pickup!
:
: What a memory tour!
:
: #1 Son
:
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : 1973 was the first 4 door; they were three door prior to that. 454 was in both Chevrolet and GMC; 455 was actually an Oldsmobile and Buick moniker for the same engine ....
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: