Re: Solved: no dash lighting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by #1 Son (70.240.208.251) on 13:05:47 01/12/12

In Reply to: Solved: no dash lighting posted by Peter

Well, you DID something to fix it right? So, why feel guilty?

#1 Son

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: : I found some other info online that might be fruitful. It seems that one of the underhood fuse blocks is prone to corrosion due to exposure. Others have related problems with tail lights, ignition, horn and dash lights that were corrected by making sure the fuse block was in good condition. I know I have the horn problem already as my horn has not worked for a few months and that fuse and relay is definitely on that block. I pulled the fuse for it and the legs/spades separated from the fuse itself due to corrosion. A new fuse did not solve my problem but maybe the problem is deeper into the fuse block.
:
:
: I checked the underhood fuseblock and pulled a couple of fuses (none labeled "dashboard lighting") and found one that had rotted to the point that the blades were separating from the top. I swapped it out and reseated a couple of the other fuses. I also then wiggled all the wires coming into the bottom of the block. Magically, the dashboard lights are working again. Hopefully, long enough to let me sell it.
:
: Re-reading what I just wrote, I feel guilty about feeling good about getting something working enough that I can sell it to someone else. That said, puting myself in the shoes of the buyer, I do have some expectation when buying something used that not everything is as it seems. I think it sounds better to say that it is fixed for now but no implied warranty. If I had fixed it by taping a bare wire in place (creating a dangerous or truely temporary fix), then I think I should reconsider my work.
:
: - Peter

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]