Re: 96 Suburban door handle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by wws (99.66.144.118) on 08:35:33 02/20/12

In Reply to: 96 Suburban door handle posted by wws

As mentioned previously, I checked several local Pick N Pulls, and every decent GMT400 driver door handle was gone! So I bought new from the dealer. The parts guy knew exactly which box to grab off the shelf without even looking up the part number. So I guess this being such a commonly replaced part that it is a blessing in disguise that I couldn't find a used one.

So yesterday I mostly finished replacing the door handle. The clip holding the rod on behind the lock is probably the hardest part of the job. Just need to put on the door panel, switches and trim plate today - which should only take a few minutes. To anyone who is considering doing this, there are a few really good videos on youtube.

Did notice that some of those white clips for holding the door panel on were missing. Since I had some body work done a few years ago on the door, it looks like the body shop 'forgot' them... Fortunately, I picked up a few of them at the Pick N Pull while looking for a replacement door handle.

Also noticed that a plastic tab was broken on the trim ring around the inside door handle, and another one on the end of the plate that holds the switches and tweeter. Red ones (color code 79I) are NLA new, so if anyone comes across used ones in excellent condition I'd be all ears.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page