Updating GM Navigation Systems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.35.30) on 18:19:25 02/24/12

When I purchased my 2007 Suburban, I did not intend to find a unit with Navigation, but am very happy I was able to give up my Garmin.

Since I spend a lot of time on the road, I have found the factory navigation system to be very accurate and easy to use. I purchased the truck in late 2007, after the 2008 models were available, which allowed me to upgrade to a highly optioned vehicle. Since the 08's had been out for a while, the dealer threw in a 2008 update DVD for the maps. What he didn't realize he had done, however, was fail to take out the card that came in the owner's manual giving another update free of charge. Therefore, when the 2009 update disc came out, I sent in the card, and got a free year's update (approximate retail value of $199 through a dealer parts department. I promptly sold the 08 DVD on eBay for $50. I have been operating off the 09 disc for approximately 2-1/2 years.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, when my company changed a few policies, and I ended up with a 2011 K1500 LTX for a company car. One of the first things I noticed was the mapping was a little different, not only in graphics but in giving more accurate information in newer housing developments, a greatly increased number of Points Of Interest (stores by name, parks, etc.). Only disadvantage of it all is that the company owned vehicle does not get used for off duty time; I kept the 07 and was getting it ready for a ski trip a couple weeks ago and dropped the 2011 disc into the 2007. All the updates appeared on the screen, and we used the 2012 on our weeklong trip to Steamboat. Upon returning home, I dropped it back in the 2012, and found the 07 system is not backwards compatible.

Off to eBay, and found a 2011 DVD for $39, shipping included. Dropped it into the 07, and that system is now operating exactly as the 2011 system does.

If you would like to check on updating your Nav system, GM has a very handy website showing the latest update for finding which is the latest disc for your system at:

http://www.gmnavdisc.com/buy-a-disc.asp?lang=en

[ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page
? 2007 Copyright. All Rights Reserved