New Tires for '07 K1500 Burb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.42.142) on 19:59:44 08/29/12

Rolled over 155,000 miles on my 2007 over the weekend, and the Firestone Destination AT tires hit about 50,000 miles. these were the first Firestone tires I'd ever run from start to finish, and while they were good, they weren't overly impressive in snow or wet, on gravel, or in their overall mileage. They were quite, and had an adequate all around tread pattern for an AT tire. While I do not have a negative review of them overall, they just didn't do anything to make me want to buy another set.

Since the LT275/55/R20 tire size is going to be an expensive replacement, I did a bit of shopping around. I have been very happy with Bridgestone Dueller Revo AT tires in other applications; I have had two sets that each gave over 75,000 miles of service with some of their life, with great on and off road traction. However, in the 20" size, you are looking at approximately $250/tire.

My '07 has been reduced to weekend driving, with the '12 company vehicle I drive getting the brunt of my daily driving. Since weekends usually see me on either gravel or off road on the reservation, I need more of an off road tread. Talking with a couple of tire guys led me to Cooper Discoverer AT3, which is a fairly new tread and rubber compound. Still made in America and priced right at the $200 per tire mark, I decided to give them a try. I put them on Monday, and ran around on some gravel last night for about 30 miles. I was a little concerned when I first got the truck out of the shop that they were going to be noisy, as aggressive as the tread is and it being such a wide tire. After scrubbing them up a little on the gravel, this evening I went out and cleaned up the truck, and noticed a great reduction in road noise; almost non existent.

Time will tell, but I thought I'd pass this along.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page