Re: Conversation Starter: My favorite moment in a Suburban was...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.42.142) on 14:18:20 09/03/12

In Reply to: Conversation Starter: My favorite moment in a Suburban was... posted by OnBelay

: Let's get something going on the board.
:

:
: What were your favorite times in your truck?

For instance:

there was a time (30 years ago) when I made my living by working as a freelance builder and program trainer for ropes courses. You have seen them at summer camps, treatment centers, staff training sites, etc. I traveled the better part of 20 states, building climbing towers, zip lines, rappelling walls, and the like, then training the staff of the facility on safety and how to use the. Hence, the nickname "OnBelay".

For many of these remote (and no-so-remote) jobs, I would be paid a flat fee for the construction, under a contract that it would be completed in X number of days. No per diem, no gas, no lodging provided, but I would be out there in all kinds of weather, year round, living as cheaply as I could. In many cases, I was only there for two or three days, in others for a month at a time.

Many mornings, I woke up in the back of a Suburban, to find a beautiful sunrise underway. Many nights, watching a full moon through the side windows on the truck. A large number of these nights, there wasn't enough clear and level space to set up a tent and park my truck, and it was just easier to sleep under it or in the back end to get out of the rain/snow/away from some pretty significant animals. Sometime I'll tell you the story of having a window broken out by a bear in Colorado.

The ability of the 'burb to haul my gear, pull a trailer full of cable in and out of the back country, and provide me with a way to make a living is one of the sources of my fondness for the vehicle.

(By the way, the pic is one of the zip lines I helped build, at the Des Moines YMCA Camp outside Boone, Iowa.)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page