Re: Hope Everyone Replies to This Thread Once!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by #1 Son (70.240.181.228) on 14:49:13 11/05/12

In Reply to: Re: Hope Everyone Replies to This Thread Once! posted by BigDog

: ... Thanks to all of you early pioneers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't really know what you meant by EARLY!

If you mean those who had started out with the basic Chevy Panel Trucks of the early 50's, or even earlier, then I may "qualify" as one of them.

The first Suburban TRUCK my family owned was a 1950 Panel Truck for hauling Produce, Milk and Meat for our food store.

OF COURSE, OURS WAS NOT AS FANCY! IT WAS THE SAME BLUE, THOUGH

That thing had no side windows except the two front ones. It did not come with and 2nd or 3rd roll seats either! Not only that, the front passenger seat was foldable and could be tumbled foreward to make room to carry more goods!

The inside of the roof was not covered. All metal braces were exposed. The floor was made of ribbed metal which made it very "slick". If I was not careful in loading the milk crates and made a sudden stop, the whole pile of the stacks would slide forward and jammed me against the steering wheel. BUT I LEARNED FAST!

Do you know that in the old days, the seat's foldable back rest did not have a lockable mechanism? This applied to ALL two door passenger vehicles, "TUDOOR", as they used to call them, as well!

Oh, yes, Side-View-Mirrors were not standard either!

We have come a long way, baby!

#1 Son

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: