Re: Pitman arm, alignment, steering wheel position

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.42.142) on 18:01:30 11/08/12

In Reply to: Pitman arm, alignment, steering wheel position posted by Wait Griswold

: My 1999 Suburban was aligned years ago and the steering wheel was at 1 o'clock after the alignment. I just put up with it.
:
: I recently had the pitman arm and the idler arm and bracket replaced and before alignment the steering wheel was now at 2 o'clock. I just got a call and after alignment it is now at 11 o'clock. The tech tells me that the toe adjustment was way off (3 deg.).
:
: I know nothing about steering geometry. Could the pitman arm be replaced incorrectly to cause this? The mechanic tells me that the steering wheel at 11 o'clock is necessary to correct the toe adjustment.
:
: Thanks for your advice.

By removing the connection, correcting the steering wheel, and reattaching the connection, the technician *should* be able to put the steering wheel back to center.

The types of things that would prevent the proper wheel "placement" would not be good: a bent subframe or chassis part, an incorrect part, or a totally incompetent technician. Either of the first two can be overcome if you aren't dealing with the third.

See link for a pretty good explanation of how it all ties together:

http://www.carparts.com/alignment.htm

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]