Re: Time for plug change?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (24.118.177.151) on 09:53:32 11/24/12

In Reply to: Time for plug change? posted by subkron

If it were mine...visually inspect cap and wires, and pull a couple of the easy to reach plugs. They should not have an issue with mileage or time from a wear standpoint, but there may be an "environmental" factor at play; mouse chewing on the wires, bad routing so a wire got hot, humidity, etc.

35,0000 miles in 7 years, means not much fresh fuel going in and out. I think burning through the tank (take a weekend trip) and through a next tank of fresh, high quality fuel would help determine if some stale gas was part of problem. Look for a brand that has "Top Tier" certification. You probably won't find this on the gas pump, but their are many regional fuel marketers that are very competitively priced for some of the better fuel around. For instance, Quik Trip convenience stores in the Midwest have some of the lowest priced but highest quality fuel available.

If that makes a small improvement, I would also investigate a professional fuel injection cleaning. Low miles and short trips are not the friend of the injection system on a 5.7. When I refer to a "professional" cleaning, I am recommending a system where the fuel pump is disconnected, and the mechanic attaches a reservoir of highly detergent fuel replacement in the fuel line, then runs the engine. Probably will cost in the neighborhood of $100.

Hope this helps...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com