Re: Possible product suggestion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Igore (75.238.37.43) on 19:27:07 12/21/12

In Reply to: Re: Possible product suggestion posted by Ben

It's handy to leave the hitch in. It's a good place to hook a chain or tow strap. It seems like I am always pulling, dragging, or towing something. Sort of a woods work truck.

To top it off, the trailer with the 2" ball is an equipment trailer with a surge brake that needs a high ball and the rest of the trailers are lighter duty (snowmobile, boat, camper) that need a much lower 1 7/8" ball to ride level. This is the sh_nk with the bright backup light bolted to it for snowplowing.

The truck is a 3/4 ton and doesn't need a weight distributing hitch for my needs.

I was at Northern Tool last weekend and they had a bunch of LED work lights that are far brighter than the work light I use for the back up light, but they run 50 to 150 dollars. I may have to wait and see what Santa brings. The best thing about them is that they use almost no power, which is a lot easier on the switch in the transmission. The display was powered by a wall wart.

: First, let me understand the naming of parts as I know it
:
: The receiver is bolted to the TV (tow vehicle) frame and has a pin box to hold the SH_NK
:
: The sh_nk is the part to is placed into the receiver's pin box. Normally 2", but there are 1.25" and 2.5" pin box sizes. Your backup lights are mounted on this shank, right?
:
: The sh_nk has the hitch head bolted to it when a WD system is used. Some sh_nks have just the b_ll bolted to it.
:
: The hitchhead of a WD system has the b_ll bolted to this and has the WD spring bars attached to this hitchhead. Some systems has a tiny offset b_ll for a friction bar
:
: Trailer b_lls require torque in the 250, 350, 450 or more ft/lb of torque
:
: Shanks left in the receiver pin box has a very RICH history of rusting and freeze themselves in that pin box.
:
: Rust (iron oxide) is approximately 7 times larger in volume than the iron it forms from
:
: So the pin box rusts and the shank rusts to form an interference fit (almost as good as welding themselves together)
:
: Why I do NOT leave mine in all the time.
:
: Spray painting both the innards of the pin box and shank will NOT solve this. Just slow it down because the fit is not a tight that rattles to rub off anything you paint/plate/etc
:
: I spray mine with Amsoil 'HD metal protectorant', which also wears off over time, but easy to do each time mine goes on/off
:
: I also use a grade 8 bolt/washer/n_t as my pin. Sometimes use a Master Lock pin (nephew gave me his, so why not). Still like the grade 8 bolt better, but undecided as the locking feature wanted
:
: As for the rear end collision thing...why the GMT900 Suburban's receiver is only rated for 1,000 pounds with a WD Hitch system.
:
: The marketing folks listen to their biggest crowd (fashion statement) and they don't like to 'see' the receiver. So marketing told engineering to 'hide' it
:
: The engineers hide it by incorporating it into the bumper, which dictates 'crash' responsibilities
:
: That then requires 'crumple zone' duties and the bracket connecting the Sub's rear frame rail to the receiver has notches cut into that bracket. That bracket is also welded to the frame rails
:
: Why there are no aftermarket receiver providers for any GMT900 Suburban, yet.
:
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: