Re: Cancer (rust) of the rocker panels

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by mpanek (156.98.4.11) on 16:37:19 01/08/13

In Reply to: Cancer (rust) of the rocker panels posted by Peter

: 2000 K1500 Suburban (NBS)
:
: I have rust working its way from the inside out on both left and right rocker panels right in front of the rear wheels. It still looks decent but it is bubbled and I took a poke at one side and put a finger through it. I know it will get worse regardless of what I do since I can't easily get to the inside surface to the sand off the rust. As long as I don't break the surface, it won't look too bad for a little longer since the paint "appears" intact. I know that as soon as I start trying to improve things, it will look crappy. I don't have welding or metal shaping skills so DIY metalwork is out of the question.
:
: I found some body panels that you place with adhesive tape over the rocker panels. I know they won't do anything structural or even slow down the cancer but it might keep the truck looking decent for a little while longer. I also have OEM running boards if that matters.
:
: Any ideas? I was hoping for another 5-7 years out of this truck. Will rusting out rocker panels affect the structural integrity? I am hoping not since it is a body-on-frame design.
:
: Any thoughts?

I have the exact same thing but limited to my driver side. when i popped a paint bubble and used touch up paint it seemed like 3 more would show up the next day, so i quit doing that.

also have the rust hole under the tail pipe but i opened that up a few years ago so it would drain well and painted it and it has not grown.

worst part is i had the 2000 sub rustproofed when new with a life time warranty, but company went out of business and I cant get any where with that. not sure that helped much, but hard to say.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page