Re: OT: stripped aluminum nut

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Peter (12.149.100.21) on 13:54:05 06/11/08

In Reply to: Re: OT: stripped aluminum nut posted by Ben

: Picture is of an AB thread
:
: I always have some assortment of AB screws of different dia's, lengths and head types just for
: this type of thing.
:
: Most vendors have too small and/or too short screws.
:
: The 'problem' with a door is that they get slammed one too many times and that shakes the fasteners
: and base material apart. Worse if there is glass, as the extra weight and reduced frame cross
: section works against itself.
:
: Another potential fix is to make yourself a 'nut bar' out of steel strap/bar stock. Assumeing this
: is inside an extrusion and no reasonable 'bottom', take a length of bar stock that will fit inside
: and is also thick enough to thread. Drill & tap a hole for the screw and either have that strap long
: enough or glued/epoxy/riveted/screwed to the frame while matching the new threaded hole with the old
: hole.
:
: Key is whether this is holding up weight or just an ornamental piece.
:
: Peter most likely has already fixed this and this is just an academic discussion now.
:

I did use epoxy and also teflon tape to protect the screw. I haven't been able to get to check it out closely but at a distance, it looks like it is holding. I hate to suggest it but dare I try to tighten the screw or just leave it alone?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page