Re: 95 K1500, 145k miles. Keep it or let it go. Help me decide....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.26.84) on 21:34:35 06/13/08

In Reply to: 95 K1500, 145k miles. Keep it or let it go. Help me decide.... posted by Art R

If you aren't dealing with rust issues, I'd say you should keep it.

I have gone a few times, very short periods of times, without a Suburban. I firmly believe I just can't do without one, between hauling people and things, and the pride of having such a good vehicle.

Yes, gas hurts.

Yes, it will continue to need upkeep.

But-it's a known quantity. You know what you have, and know where it's going to cost you.

However, can you really trade it for what it would cost to replace? Around here, it *might* be worth $5k. I'm assuming it's paid for. If you are looking at trading straight across, there is not a car on the face of the earth that I would trade for at the $5k value. Say you get $5k trade in on a used $10k vehicle. I'd bet you'll have equal cost of ownership, without knowing what's coming at you. If you traded it toward a $15k used car, you'd still have the potential costs...trade it toward a $20k new car and you'll have payments, insurance, and the cost of depreciation breathing down your neck.

So, my suggestions? Keep the 'burb and if you must, spend $5k on a used car with another 5 in the checking account to keep both vehicles running. You'll have improved economy in a car, but still have the 'burb when you want or need it. The Suburban will last longer because you're putting fewer miles on it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page