Re: 95 K1500, 145k miles. Keep it or let it go. Help me decide....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Steve in id (168.103.130.200) on 21:49:13 06/15/08

In Reply to: 95 K1500, 145k miles. Keep it or let it go. Help me decide.... posted by Art R

Keep her, whether or not you get something smaller/cheaper/with better mileage. It takes a looong time to break even with cheaper gas, you're driving a very small car if you want a significant mpg improvement, you current truck is PAID FOR and you know it's history.

Worst case, if the tranny bites you it's ~$2.5K for a new goodwrench transmission installed.

I've toyed with trading my '98K for a Cherokee, but gas mileages is not that much better, even with the straight 6. A used Land Cruiser or LX would be nice, but pricing is absurd. My 'burb had a new tranny 60K ago, new IM gaskets 25K ago. Anything else will be nickle/dime, as engine burns no oil and has nice compression test results.

Steve

: I have a 95K1500 with a Starcraft Conversion package. It's been a great truck. However at 145,000 miles, I know I am due for mechanical repairs and a few surprises.
:
: Right now, I know I need:
:
: idler and pitman
: tire rod ends
: upper ball joints
: center link
:
: In the next year, I figure I will need:
:
: tires and whatever surprises lie in store (trans, water pump, radiator, fan, alternator, catalytic converter - who knows - depends on what fails when)
:
: I drive annually about 10,000 miles right now.
:
: I'm also hearing some noise from the a/c compressor, though it may be normal...not sure.
:
: I just put in a new battery. Also had trans service done and the mechanic said it was sound, no issues. The front transfer case needed some repair as a clip had broken on a shaft and I was getting some noise. Also both U-joints replaced on rear shaft.
:
: The truck is in great shape and looks very good. I have pride driving it (when it's clean!), though the price of gas is a killer (42 gallon tank).
:
: I have driven it lightly and never towed anything.
:
: I want to get 2 more years out of it. However, I could also take adavantage of the great deals on cars now available and get something smaller. I use it mainly for commuting, so it is more vehicle than I really NEED.
:
: Any comments greatly appreciated.
:
: Art
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL: