Re: Calling all on the board. The mystery (misery) continues. But I'm determined.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by towbeast (130.36.62.142) on 10:16:56 12/12/07

In Reply to: Calling all on the board. The mystery (misery) continues. But I'm determined. posted by Art R

Only time I have had symptoms like that is when the ignition module needs more dielectric grease underneath. But you said you had the distributor replaced, so I would guess new dielectric grease was used. However, it may be worth pulling out and greasing it up anyhow, just in case someone overlooked that key step during installation.
Towbeast

: Over the last few weeks I've replaced the fuel filter, cap,rotor,distributor,plugs,plug wires,EGR valve,MAP sensor, thermostat,throttle body gasket....I think that's it.
:
: The original problem was "runs rough when wet". No codes. Everything but the MAP sensor was due anyhow..
:
: MAP apparently was showing low voltage. So out it went. My mechanic used a spray bottle to get components wet and see what effect, but couldn't get it to repeat. Also checked for vacuum leaks all around.
:
: With the MAP sensor swap, we thought it was fixed. However, it is not. The problem has improved, but is not cured.
:
: At first, it was a problem at all times whenever it was wet (symptoms: once wet, the motor ran rough and would surge/fall and stall at idle. At speed it ran rough and felt like it was missing, typically at around 1500 rpms).
:
: Now, after all of the effort, it only appears to do it when wet AND cold. Once fully warmed up it runs fine. Again..wet it the key triggering event.
:
: I typically have to park it outside because our garage is too full for two. After a good rain or a drenching car wash...the problem appears.
:
: Any ideas? My mechanic is a trusted friend, but he's on the other side of town and I will take it to him this weekend. He's scratching his head now too. Says it could be O2 sensor, but it didn't throw any codes for that....was replaced about 50-60,000 miles ago.
:
: I'm just fishing because my knowledge of vehicles comes almost exclusively from reading this board...but how about any of these?
:
: Loose ground? But where?
: Coil?
: Cat Converter going bad?
: Fuel pump going bad?
:
: Please help out and give me your thoughts on this one.
:
: Thanks..
:
: AR
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL: