Re: OT: Shaggy dog story - Only in Texas!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Idaho Joe (24.184.81.130) on 17:41:51 01/22/08

In Reply to: OT: Shaggy dog story - Only in Texas! posted by #1 Son

: I found this weird story in today's Hosuton Chronicle. It is rather weird and yet interesting! It can only happen in a state where an impeached Governor's wife got elected to succeed him:
:
: #1 Son
:
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: Shaggy dog story:

: By RICK CASEY
: Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

:
: It happened yesterday in Alice.
:
: Last month I told the story of Puddles, the Shih Tzu that the Rudy Gutierrez family left with their neighbor, the mayor, while they went on a weekend vacation.
:
: When a family member called during the weekend to check on the dog, Mayor Grace Saenz-Lopez sadly said the dog had died and she had buried it.
:
: But months later, a friend spotted a dog that looked just like Puddles at a local grooming shop. When the family called the groomer, she said the mayor had dropped it by for work. Its name was Panchito.
:
: Through her lawyer, the mayor admitted that Panchito was Puddles, but said she had rescued the dog from a family that was killing it by neglect.
:
: The family filed a criminal complaint, but the county attorney ruled it was a civil matter.
:
: Is it the mayor or her twin?

: Last Friday, a court date to resolve the matter was set for Feb. 4, but Sunday morning Mayor Saenz-Lopez called the Alice police to report that the dog was missing. An officer and a supervisor came to her house to make a report.
:
: She said she suspected the Gutierrez family of taking the dog back.
:
: At the requests of both parties, police searched both houses, but Puddles wasn't in one and Panchito wasn't in the other.
:
: Enter Gabe Caggiano, a burly, Boston-bred reporter for Channel 10 in Corpus Christi, about 45 miles east of Alice.
:
: Caggiano has been covering the story from the beginning. At one point he went to the mayor's home and found a woman who looked just like her in the backyard.
:
: But the woman told him she was the mayor's twin sister and the mayor was in Arizona.
:
: After driving around the block with his cameraman, Caggiano decided to go back. By this time, the woman was on the front porch, sweeping with her back to him.
:
: Behind the blanket ...

: "Hi, mayor," he said as he approached.
:
: "Hi," she said, glancing back at him and continuing to sweep.
:
: "I've been told you're the mayor and not the twin sister, that she lives on a ranch," he said. "Which are you?"
:
: She shoved his microphone away and said, "Get off my property."
:
: Then she went inside as Caggiano asked: "What kind of mayor would not admit that she's the mayor?" And, as the door slammed, voice raised: "Where's Puddles?"
:
: Monday Caggiano received a tip from Sylvia Treviño, the breeder who sold Puddles to the Gutierrez family.
:
: The dog, she said, was at the home of the mayor's twin sister, Gracie Garcia, who is a trustee of the Ben Bolt-Palito Blanco Independent School District.
:
: Caggiano and his cameraman, Travis Cobb, drove to the home about 15 miles from Alice. Nobody answered his knocks, Caggiano said.
:
: "About six or seven dogs were running loose and barking," Caggiano said. "Around the back there was a porch area with a blanket covering the railing. Behind it we found the dog."
:
: Cobb got about 40 seconds of clear video which they showed first to Treviño for a positive identification. Then they called the sheriff, who sent deputies to Garcia's house.
:
: "We went back, but Gracie wouldn't open the door for the deputies," he said by phone late yesterday afternoon.
:
: Caggiano also showed the video to Alice Police Chief Danny Bueno, who later announced that charges of making a false police report and tampering with evidence were being filed against the mayor.
:
: "Why don't you go and arrest her?" Caggiano said he asked the chief.
:
: "I'd like to keep my job," Bueno said.
:
: Caggiano said the chief assured him that officers would retrieve Puddles and place him with a veterinarian until the Feb. 4 hearing.
:
: The sheriff's department was getting a search warrant for the twin sister's house, Caggiano said, but, "We just noticed that the sister's car is in the mayor's driveway."
:
: In what I took to be a playful mocking of a cable news reporter, Caggiano said, "We're at the mayor's house now. The mayor is not answering the door. The shades are down. We just hope this isn't another Waco."
:
: You can write to Rick Casey at P.O. Box 4260, Houston, TX 77210, or e-mail him at rick.casey@chron.com .
:
: Thats' just werid....
:
:
:
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject: