Re: Your RV/TT or FEMA's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Steve G (67.97.247.170) on 14:46:27 02/14/08

In Reply to: Your RV/TT or FEMA's posted by Peter

I have a Rockwood travel trailer that I bought new in 2004. It's a pretty big one, about 33' long. When we had it delivered to our house, it was pretty cool out, so the trailer didn't get too hot inside. Our first camping trip wasn't until summer. Before our first trip, we had a mini-heat-wave which resulted in hot temperatures. The trailer was locked up since we weren't using it yet. Interior temps were in the 90s. I went inside to get it ready for the trip. After about a few seconds, my eyes started burning pretty bad and I had a bad taste in my throat. I immediately exited the trailer and felt better. Tried to go back in, same thing. Apparently the first time the trailer gets hot, the formaldehyde used in manufacturing is outgassed. After a few days of ventilating the trailer with fans in the heat, the smell and irritation went away. If you check the trailer forums (rv.net,etc.) you will find that this is quite common. On a new trailer, some people even turn on the furnace so it will outgas while it's at home so it doesn't irritate them later. Usually once it has outgassed the formaldehyde its fine and doesn't irritate anyone. Of course, some people might be more sensitive to formaldehyde and might have problems for a long time.

Our trailer was fine after that first incident. Unfortunately, if you don't know what's going on, you wouldn't realize that you need to outgas the formaldehyde first with no occupants.

Steve G

: I am not looking to get into a political discussion or anything about how FEMA handled the Katrina incident.
:
: That said, the recent news about formaldehyde in the FEMA provided trailers makes me concerned about all the forum members with towed or mobile housing. Today's news suggests that the formaldehyde releasing wood materials used in these trailers is standard for that type of structure. There was also an arguement that these trailers were never intended for long term living so the formaldehyde exposure should never have been a long tern issue.
:
: Those of you with mobile living structures/trailers (not from FEMA), is the formaldehyde issue something that you ever considered. Is this something new or an old story newly publiczed? Is it related to the quality of construction or FEMA's building specs?
:
: Does it explain your current state of mind? ;-)
:
:
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title: