1998 Suburban K2500 - Removing brake drum

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Chuck (24.175.95.24) on 23:54:11 02/22/08

Just discovered this forum and my first post here.

I have a 1998 Chevy Suburban K2500 7.4L (118K miles) and I am having a lot of the typical brake issues. I have a stack of parts ready to go to try to get my brakes back in order (including Praise Dyno pads for the front) -- but have hit a snag on removing the rear drums.

The factory manuals (2nd edition) says that the axles have to be removed in order to remove the drums. I believe I have a full floating rear axle from looking at the drums ( pictures can be found at http://home.tx.rr.com/theroberts/1998%20Chevy%20Suburban%20K2500/Brakes/ )

The rear diff is 14 bolt and RPOs include C6P (8600 GVW, GT4 (3.73), G80 (Posi) and JD7. Drums are the large 13 x 3 1/2.

I have tried to remove the drum without removing the 8 axle shaft bolts - it doesn't budge. The drums were off back in oct/2007 when I had the brake shoes replaced at a local shop. So I would not expect them to be seized really bad at this point.

Two questions:

1) Should these drums come off without removing the axles ? I have found the factory manuals to be pretty accurate -- but I'm not convinced the axles have to come out. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

2) I do not have access to a shop press. I have been told that I can just hammer (carefully) the studs out of the drums (and rotors) with a punch -- then install new studs with washers & lug nut. Any issues with this approach ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Chuck

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]