Re: Oil Cooler Lines

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by steve in id (71.209.16.122) on 22:42:28 02/27/08

In Reply to: Oil Cooler Lines posted by Mike B

Mike, I'm on my 3rd set from new...same truck, engine, and MY; my truck has ~170K.

Normal failure mode is at the hardline-to-hose crimp forward of the oil filter adapter...something you can't see unless you lower the front under chassis panel occasionally, like when you grease the front end.

Anyway, OEM lines come with new clip retainers and o-rings...OEM shop manual says not to reuse the clips. Clip bends that actually retain the lines have to be located in the slots on the adapter fittings. Correctly installed, you should have zero leakage on the filter end of the lines. You can get new fittings at your dealer, bring in a sample as there are 2 different part possibilities. Again, leakage is not common on the filter side of the lines.

hth

Steve

: I replaced my leaky stock lines about 5 months ago. All good until I noticed oil leaking around the fittings to the block near the oil filter. I used Napa cooler lines and a friend has since told me only OEM. I'm sure this is a common GM problem. Any tips? Is there any hope I can relace the cooler line fittings to the block and get a good seal or should I just use OEM cooler lines and be done with it? It's a '98 K1500 Suburban with a 5.7.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page