Re: Cooling system K2500 What's normal?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by R staaterman (67.83.142.238) on 01:49:18 03/01/08

In Reply to: Cooling system K2500 What's normal? posted by R. Staaterman

Can anyone with one of these comment?
Does this sound like a head gasket going going gone?

: I've had this 99 K2500 7.4L Suburban for about 4 years now
: and I've used it mostly for towing my race trailer (7K lbs). It's been fine and regular service on the trans and diff with Mobil 1 synthetics have been performed.
:
: About a year ago I noticed that I was losing coolant.
: Yes the manifold fitting was replace just before I bought it. Well in looking things over it looked like the water pump was leaking some and so I installed a new pump, hoses, belt and tensioner. This at a little over 100K miles. But since that time I've noticed that the temperature gauge seems to fluctuate a lot and so I suspected an air bubble. I did make quite the effort to bleed the air out via that quick connect for the heater hose on the manifold. Then I did a pressure test by inserting one of those Prestone service tees in the heater line. I saw no problems.
:
: So today (it's 41F) I warm it up to about 150F take it out and drive it. It stays at 160-165 until I stop. Then it goes up to 190. If I turn the key off for a minute or so and back on it drops down to 165-170F.
:
: It will heat up like this when stopped at a light too.
: Then cool down when you get going again.
:
: It appears that the fans are on.
:
: So what's normal or abnormal about this?
:
: What is the proper operating temp of the coolant?
:
: I did tow once last summer for a couple of 100 mile trips with it performing like this and it never boiled over.
:
: Thanks for any tips.
:
: Bob
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL: