Re: Cooling system K2500 What's normal?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by R. Staaterman (67.83.142.238) on 17:50:36 03/01/08

In Reply to: Re: Cooling system K2500 What's normal? posted by Ben

The first picture is where I startoup perhaps a little higher. Then when I stop it jumps up to 195. So I think my variation is more extreme.
This does not feel normal to me. Before the big service (chanigning the pump all the hoses and belt) I never noticed this before.

I installed one of those prestone tee fittings in the heater line to alow me to pressure test the system. I found nothing. Last week the cap on that fitting was a bit loose and I lost a gallon of coolant. That was easy to spot and now it's been fixed but I still seem to be losing some coolant somewhere? No major leakage evident.

So maybe I better use one of those flourescent dyes and see if I can figure out where it's going. The air bubble caused by leakage migjht be the culprit here.

I just passed the vehicle test here in NJ.

Bob S.
: This is normal for my 1996 GMC 7.4L Suburban with a modified 180*F thermostat, Severe Duty fan clutch. Notice that after running on the freeway and then at idle, the temp did go up a bit. These were taken after a Calif Smog test, which it passed with large margins (better than many cars of that year).
:
: Photobucket
:
:
: My 180*F stats have a 3/32" dia hole drilled in the flange. This is in addition to the one that comes with *ALL* thermostats (they usually have a hole smaller than 1/64" dia).
:
: Assume the parts person gave you the right one. When they went from V-Belt to Serpentine belt, the pump rotation switched. I don't know HOW2 tell, but maybe someone can post. An arrow on the case would be too much to expect'm to do.
:
: Since you tow, suggest you flush every other year with regular ATF. I used to use Mobil synthetic, but no more after burning a fresh charge of it after about 500 miles of very hard towing. So why bother if it will also burn. Maybe a bit longer lasting, but not for me at this point.
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com