Re: 1998 Suburban K2500 - Removing brake drum

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Chuck (24.175.95.24) on 09:25:14 03/02/08

In Reply to: Re: 1998 Suburban K2500 - Removing brake drum posted by Ben

I had some challenges on the front brakes. Removing the studs with a hammer and punch wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But getting the new studs installed turned out to be a real pain.

Using a punch, I tapped the new studs in as far as possible, then tried to pull them through using a couple of washers, spare lug nut and air wrench (see picture below). I could not get them to pull through tight. Tried all kinds of variations.

Maybe my air wrench isn't powerful enough - its a Campbell Hausfeld rated at 275 ft lbs. Or maybe this simply requires a hydraulic press.

I ended up taking it all back apart and putting the old studs in which worked - the hub and rotor tightened up. There is one stud on the RF that wiggles just a tiny bit but all the rest feel solid.

I'm not clear on what the rule of thumb is on re-using wheel studs. But I would much rather have new ones installed.

As far as bedding the new pads......not quite there yet. Had some additional challenges getting the rest of the system together that I will put in a seperate post.

: How did the fronts go?
:
: Bedding in?
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title: