1998 Suburban K2500 - Brakes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Chuck (24.175.95.24) on 10:04:44 03/02/08

I am in the middle of overhauling the brakes on my 1998 K2500 suburban.

What I have done so far:

FRONT
-new rotors
-PraiseDyno (Stage 1) pads
-new hoses

REAR
-shoes & springs replaced in oct, 2007 at local shop
-replaced left rear drum that had been turned as far as it could and appeared to be warped
-new wheel cylinders (wasn't planned but I broke one of the bleeder valves -- so replaced both)

Also replaced the Combination Valve (new valve is P/N 12548265 as specified in TSB 99-05-24-001A)

I replaced the master cylinder and hydroboost in oct, 2007 just prior to rear shoes.

At this point everything is back together. Since I have installed new wheel cylinders, hoses, and the combination valve (plus removed rear brake pipe from master cylinder in process) --- I knew it may take longer to get all this air bled out of the system. I have also been very carefull not to run the master cylinder dry throughout all this work.

After bleeding each wheel (RR, LR, RF, then LF) the brake pedal is extremely soft and goes to the floor.

I am going to double check all the connections again today - but I am looking at other areas too. I may need to go through the bleed procedure again.

Questions:

- In the service manual description of replacing the combination valve - there is a note that says "Verify that the combination valve metering rod is depressed during bleeding." I looked all over that combination valve and could not figure out what the metering rod was. Anyone have experience with this?

- My driveway is fairly sloped and the car has been on stands with the nose up. Any chance that this is causing air to get trapped somehow?

- The manual also refers to ABS bleed. My scan tool does not support the ABS bleed function (not sure any aftermarket ones do...). I did not perform an ABS bleed when I replaced the master cylinder and hydroboost last year. But wondering if this could be part of the problem.

- Is it possible that the master cylinder got damaged during the bleed procedure -- possibly by pushing the pedal too far to the floor ?

Thanks for the help.
Chuck

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]