Re: Oil filter torque

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Igore (12.205.80.12) on 13:39:37 03/13/08

In Reply to: Re: Oil filter torque posted by Steve T

You won't notice a difference at 28F between 5W and 10W. This doesn't get noticable for cold start until somewhere below 0F, unless the truck is plugged in. Usual case is that the power steering pump makes nore noise when cold than the engine.

In the old old days, we used to use straight 10 weight oil in the winter, no problem. I still use 10W30.

Take it from a native of NE Minnesota.

: : Doesn't your truck call for 5w30?
: : Unless your someplace warm all the time, I'd make at least all the winter oil changes 5w30. I know my truck is happier (I.E. quieter startup) running 5w30 Mobil One.
:
: Yes, it does specify 5w30, as did my previous sub. My dealer always used 10w30, he felt the 5w30 was specified to improve corporate gas mileage numbers by some tiny amount. I always felt that narrower range oils were less dependent on polymer additive magic. If you take a look at the "engine oil bible" their chart seems to make 10w30 look like the better choice. (see link) BTW, #1 Son, link is bad on your maintenance page. So far I have started it once cold, 28F out (New York), and I see absolutely no difference. And it's March anyway. I'll change it again before next winter. I can always go to the 5W30 if you all convince me I'm wrong.
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com