Re: how did you know it was time?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by AustinTX (70.112.241.74) on 06:33:17 03/20/08

In Reply to: how did you know it was time? posted by Peter

Great questions, Pete - let me see if I can help with some great answers :)

The rest of the Sub is in great shape and has never seen any body damage. These days I put around 20K miles a year on it driving to and from the office daily, and tow a 7K pound boat for service a couple of times a year, about 20 miles round trip each time. Beyond that, a utility trailer with a load of under 3K pounds several times a year.

The climate in Austin is, well - partly cloudy and warm to hot most of the time.

After experiencing a random misfire at cold idle and the signs of a second IMG failure, coupled with a possible bad head gasket and associated oil leaks (rear seal, etc), I started looking at the cost of the IMG replacement (~$900) followed by new heads ($2500) followed by just a complete engine swap.

I started getting quotes from local shops a few months ago. They were coming in around $6 to over $7K....so I decided to call a dealer.

They quoted me $4,500. Turnkey. And that included a rental car for the duration - which they said they could have it done in two days.

So for me, the math was fairly easy. After just plunking down $30K for my wife's '08 Pathfinder, I can sell her '99 Tahoe for around $5K, put a new engine in my 'Burb to keep the fairly new crate transmission company, have a 3yr/100K warranty on the engine, and have money left over to fill the gas tank.

Beats another car payment. :)

Reason I'm selling her Tahoe and not the Burb instead? Let's just say I know the history on both vehicles.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page