Re: one opinion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Jeff in CO (146.130.99.88) on 14:36:59 04/09/08

In Reply to: Re: one opinion posted by Crusader556

Chris,
I actually bought mine off of eBay (sort of). I found the truck and then talked with the guy quite a bit in detail. Single guy, no family, food, pets, etc. Seemed pretty particular. I bought it 8 months ago, 2004 with 18,000 miles on it. Really low miles for the year. I paid $28,000 for it. It turned out great but it did have more surface rust on it than I was use to seeing. I have later found out that the vehicles all show more rust in the WI (Madison) area. That has really been my only complaint.
The Texas dealer, I ve seen quite a bit on Ebay. I think there are some independent evaluators that can view the vehicle on your behalf before coming to inspect it personally. This may help with the long distance barrier. The fuel pump and intake manifold can only be found out by the owner or previous records. Hit or miss on this.
Typical fuel pumps go for about 80k 100k before going out. Mine went out at 30k (really unusual).
Don t have to worry about timing belts ..should be using chain.
These engine can run to 180k to 200k before an overhaul (based on my experience).
I kept my 02 Tahoe with the 5.3 for 135k before selling it. It was pretty reliable all the way through. I think around 110k I spent about $1800 in repairs. Not bad in my opinion.
As far as a shop evaluation .you are just going to have to take their info with a grain of salt. Have them do a compression test, pull the wheels, check ball joints, etc. Pay them for it. At least you will get an educated opinion on it. Remember .it s just an opinion but will usually help.
If you find anything in Colorado Springs, I ll look at it for you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page