Re: OnBelay...your Ford spark plugs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by OnBelay (76.84.42.105) on 22:53:54 05/06/08

In Reply to: OnBelay...your Ford spark plugs posted by Ben

The Ford 5.4 l engine is recommended to go 100,000 miles between plug changes. The issue that arises is that the plugs are capable of running that long and farther, but literally disintegrate when you go to pull them because they get seated so hard in the cylinder wall.

Okay, I am over simplifying, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I pulled mine at 50k to check them and see if it was that big a deal. At 50,000. they had no problems coming out; they all looked clean and no real signs of wear. At 100,000, they also all looked pretty good considering they had that kind of mileage; I would estimate they could have still had another 30-50k left in them.

The removal, however, is becoming a huge issue for F-150 owners who are waiting to go the full 100k. Ford has issued a number of TSBs that basically boil down to spraying the plug down with Kyroil penetrant and using a specific tool to take them out.

I'm on the road right now and don't have access to the pics, but I pulled this one off of Google images to show the funky plugs. If this isn't enough of a recap, let me know and when I get home next week I'll dig them out of the home pc.

There is a lot of info on www.f150onine.com in the forums about the issue.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

OurSUV.com
Contact us         Home Page