Re: '98 Suburban Brake Pad Upgrade???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]

Posted by Ben (76.14.17.32) on 12:45:51 05/16/08

In Reply to: '98 Suburban Brake Pad Upgrade??? posted by Bob Kirk

First, nothing can beat a 'good' disc brake setup, especially on all four corners.

BUT, the setup you have 'can' be made to be very good. I can initiate ABS just about anytime with
the larger tires/wheels currently and can *ANY* time with stock/OEM tires/wheels.

Read up on braking over at fellow forum members (#1 Son) site in the hot link below. Go to the
'brakes' section.

There are many design issues with our era GM full sized truck. Lots of them arise as it ages and why
super tuning helps so much...it brings it back up to OEM spec and even higher if done right.

I recommend Praise Dyno Brake friction materials, but do not recommend drilled rotors of any kind
for street use. Slotted is okay, as it provides outgas routing and the better or higher
performance pads have a slot cut down the middle
to manage this. They are in Texas and only take phone orders the last time I checked. John Ambrose
Jr is the owner and really nice folks (usually get one of his son's when I call).

Praise Dyno Brake

Then the questions and answers only you can provide and decide.

How is it braking now?
What has been the maintenance schedule?
How much are you willing to spend both in bucks and labor?
DIYer?

Whole hog is to super tune the system, replace the friction materials, replace the
calipers/cylinders, replace the hoses (two front and single rear), bleed the whole system
(including ABS if you have a tuner that can open their valves), etc. Think your year came with the
TSB fixing (not totally, but goes in the right direction) the wacky proportioning valve bias.

Then check back with more questions or whatever. Most of the stuff I'd post has been posted before and
captured on #1 Son's place.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OurSUV.com ]